Centre Strings is a student/community string orchestra dedicated to musical and interpersonal excellence. We do not support competition in any form, including seating. We play music of all genres and strive for artistic and human diversity.
Don Nixon and Dr. Lyn Schenbeck began Centre Strings in September of 2004. We have grown from 8 members to 44. Musicians are ages 8 to 78. We welcome anyone who wants to play and will work with people who haven’t played in a while and want to rebuild their skills. If you have played for at least 2 years you are eligible to join. Instruments we need are violins, violas, cellos, and basses. We do not require a formal audition. All of our concerts are performed at The Donald W. Nixon Centre for Performing and Visual Arts, except for run-outs we do at senior centers or churches.
We rehearse on Tuesday evenings when school is in session from 6:30 to 7:45 pm.
If you are interested in joining, please call:
Dr. Lyn Schenbeck at 770-683-6837
The Centre Strings Orchestra is a volunteer student/community orchestra based at the Nixon Centre for the Performing and Visual Arts, in Newnan, GA. Centre Strings is a friendly and rewarding group of all ages that provides
a place to develop and maintain string "chops."; Players are dedicated and give their best to the group.
The orchestra rehearses once a week on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:00 at Newnan Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 38 Greenville St S, Newnan, GA 30263. Centre Strings performs two concerts at the Nixon Centre, one in December and the other in May. The season follows the schedule of the Coweta County School System.
The successful candidate will bring an appreciation of and sensitivity to the community-based nature of the organization. The position will require working directly with staff and players and attending planning meetings as available. Compensation: $500 per semester plus possible honoraria.
1. Education and experience appropriate for the position.
2. Basic knowledge of string ensemble repertoire at a variety of levels.
3. Competent string player (violin, viola, cello, or bass) or pianist preferred.
4. Has demonstrated skills working with community players of all ages.
5. Flexible and understanding of individual circumstances.
6. Has experience working successfully with a range of likely stakeholders, from players to event planning staff.
7. Shows potential to facilitate both player and community engagement.
1. Design programs that will appeal to both our players and audience.
2. Attend/conduct all rehearsals and performances.
3. Provide parts to the concertmaster for bowings one week prior to the first rehearsal.
4. Communicate with violinist Billy Farmer, Director of the Chamber Ensemble.
5. Set dress rehearsal and concert dates in collaboration with the Nixon Centre and the Orchestra Board;
6. Choose performance music in collaboration with the Board (for the first year at least).
7. Encourage input from the Orchestra about music selections and rehearsal practices.
8. Other duties as determined in accordance with the orchestra’s needs
Please send a cover letter, your resume, a sample of your programming, and/or questions to Dr. Lyn Schenbeck
This position will remain open until filled; a review of applications will begin on Aug. 15, 2022.
The Donald W. Nixon Centre
for Performing and Visual Arts
1523 Lower Fayetteville Road
Newnan, GA 30265
Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
Phone: 770-254-ARTS (2787)
Support Us — Become a Patron
Stay informed — Join Our List